I am an environmentally concience person, but also very realistic. I have had many times where I have been rinsing out a baby food jar or some other plastic container before placing it into the recycle bin... and the thought "why am I even doing this?? It's not going to help" (I know many of you have had the exact same thought!) I'm not going to lie .. I have full-on stopped washing it and thrown it staight into the garbage, there was most likely a "fuck this" mummbled along side.
I have to be honest that I also contemplated starting this blog with similiar thoughts "noone needs to hear my stupid little story of how I have struggled with weight loss or anxiety...its not going help anyone" But that was before I heard the story of the Hummingbird.
One day a terrible fire broke out in a forest - a huge woodlands was suddenly engulfed by a raging wild fire. Frightened, all the animals fled their homes and ran out of the forest. As they came to the edge of a stream they stopped to watch the fire and they were feeling very discouraged and powerless. They were all bemoaning the destruction of their homes. Every one of them thought there was nothing they could do about the fire, except for one little hummingbird.
This particular hummingbird decided it would do something. It swooped into the stream and picked up a few drops of water and went into the forest and put them on the fire. Then it went back to the stream and did it again, and it kept going back, again and again and again. All the other animals watched in disbelief; some tried to discourage the hummingbird with comments like, "Don't bother, it is too much, you are too little, your wings will burn, your beak is too tiny, it’s only a drop, you can't put out this fire."
And as the animals stood around disparaging the little bird’s efforts, the bird noticed how hopeless and forlorn they looked. Then one of the animals shouted out and challenged the hummingbird in a mocking voice, "What do you think you are doing?" And the hummingbird, without wasting time or losing a beat, looked back and said, "I am doing what I can."
While the woman told this story ... tears streamed down my face. In that moment I realized that all the little things I do are not going unnoticed. My children see me making an extra effort in many areas of our life (I hope to get into that in a later post) .. my husband ... my family and my friends notice the type of impact I want to have on our planet. And to be honest I believe that it has rubbed off.. even if its just a little.. its a chain reaction.. and I feel like the little hummingbird doing what I can.
It was also in that moment that I decided to start this blog. I feel that if I can open up and talk about the things that I have struggled with it may envoke even one of you to make a change in your life as well.
I take inspiration anywhere I can find it .. I have learned so much from my friends and family .. and I look forward to learning more and passing on information and hopefully this blog will be a tool for me to do so. I appreciate any kind of feedback .. so please if you have the urge to help pass on a message .. don't hesitate.
My message to all of you ... The little efforts you do are not going unnoticed!
with much love...

No comments:
Post a Comment