Thursday was an extremely epic day of skiing with my husband, his bestie and my bestie... When I say epic, this is not an understatement! It has snowed a ridiculous amount here this past week. I was wishing I was on a board, the snow was so deep, we could have used snorkels! We were all out of breath and laughing each time we gathered to ride the lift for another amazing snow lashing. It was the best workout any of us had had since childhood I'm sure. Anyone that was on the hill Thursday would have slept like a baby that night. Just out of curiosity I looked up the calorie burn of a days worth of skiing, I said we skied 200 minutes, as an underestimate, and it was 1500 calories... Which explains Friday.
Friday, surprisingly, I rallied and assumed position to get my ass whooped by my trainer. ( I am a gluten for punishment) She basically made me do all lower body .. FML. I almost cried, and she was loving it. Somehow, I managed to get through it. When the beating was over, I was so starved, I literally almost bit my husbands head off. I gave him the "if you don't get food in me in the next ten minutes, you will no longer have a head .... And DON'T TALK!" (I wasn't being a bitch, I was saving his life.) We had a scrumptious lunch, at a local Mexican restaurant, all healthy fresh ingredients, makes my taste buds sing!
Friday night we had our lovely friends over for pizza... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm .. And we were all so dog tired from the hectic week.. we sat and stared at that cable guy comedian and then watched a couple episodes of East Bound and Down (Kenny Powers is the funniest shit to come to HBO since ...well ever! If you haven't watched it, or if you have and didn't like it, I recommend giving it another try, that show makes me laugh out loud!!)
Saturday morning, I was so frigging tired. But I wanted to take my little girl up to the ski hill for her first go at skiing. Spencer was going to be a champ and stay home with the bee. So away we went ...
we got her all hooked up with new ski's and boots .... it took a bit longer then expected, but spirits were high. I had no strategy .. or plan of action .. I was just going to 'wing' it. I did have a harness that one of my old clients gave me, so that was a plus.
As soon as I strapped her in, she started to cry. She has a hard time trying things that are new, because she just wants to be able to 'do' ... impatient? .. Yes! (I will admit fully she gets that from me) So, my 'patient mommy' side came out, (this takes a lot of breathing and effort for me) and I just hugged her and told her that I was proud of her for trying something new, even if it was a bit scary at first, I promised that it was going to be fun and well worth it. So, up the little rubber lift thing we went. She practiced 'walking' with the ski's on the way up, and she was giggling and getting excited. I noticed a Dad teaching his son how to snowboard, and he was just in regular winter boots, so I followed suit and left my ski's at the bottom. I'm so glad I did!
Her first run went pretty darn good.. I just told her to bend her knees and lean forward, keeping the tips of her skis in the shape of a slice of pizza. Away she went! I held on tight and ran down the hill behind her giving her a bit of speed, but not too much. She screamed and giggled the whole way down, when she fell, she cried, and would yell that she couldn't get up, so I'd help her get up and then she'd scream and squeal the rest of the way. (Each run was filled with every emotion known to a 5 year old I swear) Run after run... went about the same, with a few more small pointers on each try, hoping that I wouldn't overwhelm her too much. (When that happens she shuts down, and there's no recovery) The last 3 runs we did, I was on skis with her. It was amazing! I'm such a sap when it comes to the kids learning something new ... so of course I cried. I was so proud of her ... And she was getting pretty gutsy .. She 'like ah dah' speed like momma! ;) I was so darn exhausted from running down the hill behind her in my ski boots, and picking her up about 50 times.. I figured it was best that we would leave on a run with no falls. So I told her we were done for the day, and of course , the tears and the screaming were quick to follow. Yes, if you were up there on Saturday and witnessed a child screaming "I DON'T WANNA GO HOME!" obsessively over and over...walking 20 feet behind her mom.. that was us! And I have to say, I'm ok with that! It means that our first lesson was enjoyable and fun enough in my 5 year olds world, that she didn't want it to stop. SUCCESS!!! And I can't wait for next weekend to do it all over again!
The poor little thing was asleep within 5 minutes of the long drive home..
I also have to give my hubby a shout out tonight because when we got home from the hill .... I walked in the door to a VERY clean house... he had cleaned his heart out during the 5 hours while we were gone! (brownie points baby!) Wooohoooo! Pure love...
No comments:
Post a Comment