This is a recipe that can be given to your baby from 7 months on. We, as a family love it so much that I have improvised and made it as a soup and as a 'mash'. (like a mashed potato with meals)
It is a staple at my house.
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I use leeks as well)
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped celery
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup split red lentils (I use all kinds)
1 medium sweet potato or yam, peeled and chopped
1 and 3/4 cups of Vegetable or Chicken Stock or Water
I often use more vegetables than called for to make larger batches... and then I just add enough water or stock to 'cover' the vegetables in the pan. NOTE* If you use leeks, the white ends are the only part that is edible.
Link to Annabel's website ... check it out!
Saute the onion, carrots and celery in the vegetable oil for about 5 minutes or until softened
Saute the onion, carrots and celery in the vegetable oil for about 5 minutes or until softened
Add the sweet potato and lentils and pour in the stock or water. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. (until most stock is absorbed)
SO EASY!!!
Puree in blender (for babies) or lightly mash with potato masher for and 'older' child version.
I still freeze all the left overs from dinner for Bryar. They are so handy to send to daycare, or when he decides he doesn't 'like' what we are all eating for dinner. This truly is my staple baby food, and he LOVES it!!!!
The spoon doesn't get it in quick enough....
If him licking the bowl clean doesn't convince you to try this recipe... I don't know what will!!!
OMGosh ... I love him...
FOOD FACT: Lentils are a good, cheap source of protein. They also provide iron, which is very important for brain development, particularly between the ages of six months to two years.
Hi Ashley,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that my lil' guy, Eli (8.5 mo), loved this dish - gobbled up his whole bowl tonight. That doesn't happen all the time. Thanks for posting this recipe!
Amy
(Leanne's sister-in-law...also quite anxious when my husband works out of town. Keep-him-up-all-night-on-Skype kind of anxious - haha!)